When people come together we have the power to do extraordinary things.
2007 was a very successful year for DIG IN and the Bloor-Lansdowne community.
There is one reason for our success. YOU! It was your work and support that made this year's tremendous accomplishments possible. It is because of YOU that we are on our way to making this the best neighbourhood in Toronto.
I would like to thank each and every one of you for your donations and for all the time you have contributed to DIG IN projects.
DIG IN doesn't do it alone. We are lucky to work closely with other groups including the Toronto Lansdowne Residents' Association, Humanize Bloordale, the Dufferin Grove Residents' Association and the newly formed South Junction Triangle Residents' Association.
DIG IN is also grateful for the co-operation and support it gets from Adam Giambrone's office, the Bloordale Business Improvement Association and Toronto Police, 14 Division. And of course, there are DIG IN's usual suspects who volunteer for everything from setting up tables for holiday parties to delivering flyers night after night. We thank all of you and are proud that you serve our community.
This past year DIG IN organized several very successful events. Whether big or small, our projects brought people together and made Bloor-Lansdowne a better place to live. This past year…
- We hosted the SPLASH party in July—which literally cleaned up Bloor St.
- We put on Bloor NIGHTLIGHT - an all-night art show featuring the beauty and transformative power of light. Our exhibition was a vital part Toronto's annual Nuit Blanche. Bloor NIGHTLIGHT showed off the spirit and talent found in our community to the thousands of visitors who came to Bloor-Lansdowne that evening.
- We arranged to have GREENFORCE, a show on HGTV, help us transform a part of our “concrete jungle” into a beautiful mini urban oasis at Dupont and St. Clarens. The result is a gorgeous garden that local resident’s will be able to enjoy for years to come.
- DIG IN members have had several productive meetings with police and local officials in an effort to improve this area's quality of life
- DIG IN helped organize a well-attended community safety audit with MLS, Toronto Hydro and Toronto police, 14 Division
- Along with Adam Giambrone's office and the Bloordale BIA we organized a winter holiday party that collected much needed donations for Savard's women's shelter
- We have the DIG IN Dining Group—which visits and supports our fabulous local restaurants regularly.
For 2008 we already have some exciting new events planned. Starting in February and running once each month, we will be having a local film festival with screenings and discussion at Bloor Collegiate auditorium.
Come out and support us!
And mark your calendars! On June 21 st –we plan to kick off the 1st day of summer with the BIG festival! This promises to be the largest street festival ever held on Bloor. It will be an all-day celebration lasting from 11am til 11pm. We are still looking for people and groups to be part of this ambitious event. Here’s your chance to perform—all you musicians, dancers, creative artists. You can also sell your wares at sales tables, promote your group or sports teams or gardening club. We want restaurants to participate and show off the outstanding cuisine this neighbourhood has to offer. The possibilities are endless.
Let’s show the rest of Toronto how a neighbourhood festival is done! Let's make ours a FUN, exciting & safe event for all!
Again THANK YOU all for your contributions to our success.
Finally, I’d like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season and a wonderful new year! See you in 2008.